View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I built a Smack booster earlier this year with mostly scrounged parts, so it didnt cost me much. I could noticeably feel the engine being dragged down. And my mileage stayed basically the same at what I was getting for years, 32 mpg on downstate trips. I may have gotten 33 once with the booster, but IIRC I got 31 the next tank so it averaged out. I did start a 101 cell Boyce style box last year but Im in no hurry to finish it. Ill probably work on it in the dead of winter when theres really not much else to do. I dont really expect it to accomplish anything, but since I started it I might as well finish.

Compare that with using what I have learned on this site. Such as aeromods, the mpguino, driving with load, all the good stuff. Ive gotten 10 times more gains from what Ive learned here. Ive gotten over 40 mpg on downstate trips using what Ive learned here. Snow is gone and last couple mornings on the way to work Ive gotten 35 mpg. Im learning to do better all the time.

Oh yeah I also built an EFIE, and a map sensor adjuster. The EFIE gave disastrous results on mileage. Like a drop from 32 to 26. The map sensor modifier didnt really increase mileage, but it did feel like a hint more power by reducing the signal by 100-150mv. I may play with it more sometime, but again Ive gotten 10 times the gains by ecomodding/ecodriving.

Hey Neal, I see youre in Big Rapids. I either pass there or stop there every other weekend. Maybe we could meet up sometime.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver