Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Lazarus -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Have you had any reports on the emissions that is created when running lean? I wonder if the Nox goes through the roof or does the hydrogen do something to counteract that?
This is my personal 100 million quatloo question. I know that I must be increasing my Nox when the EFIE induces lean-burn.

Since the hydrogen generators are reducing NOx for diesel applications, my hope is that it will do the same for gasoline applications. As an ECOmodder, I think that even if the hydrogen generator gained 0 MPG, if it reduced NOx under lean-burn, then it is worth it for me.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 12-16-2007 at 01:50 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Lazarus -

This is my personal 100 million quatloo question. I know that I must be increasing my Nox when the EFIE induces lean-burn.

Since the hydrogen generators are reducing NOx for diesel applications, my hope is that it will do the same for gasoline applications. As an ECOmodder, I think that even if the hydrogen generator gained 0 MPG, if it reduced NOx under lean-burn, then it is worth it for me.

CarloSW2
Before they went out of business I became buddy's with the guy that ran the place that did the emissions test every year. I would bring my car in and he was fascinated with all the junk on it and the increase in FE. When I explained that I was also worried about emission he would let me bring it in a throw the stuff on it to see if it would cause a drastic increase for no charge. I only took him up on it once when I was working on fuel additives. You might try asking your guy you might be surprised. If they don't have to fill out any paper work it did not seem like it was that big a deal if they were slow.

Then again you might get some gut that says your tampering with the emission system and turn you in.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
I'm going to have to chime in on the side of questioning his "test" (and I use the term loosely). The fact that he would use this approach ... and then make claims from it should raise all kinds of red flags.

Another red flag is his claim (on his YouTube bio) that a significant portion unburned fuel escapes in the exhaust and is burned in the catalytic converter, which is contradicted by an expert:

Quote:
In fact, any modern engine in good condition and at normal operating temperature emits only about 1 - 2% of the input fuel as unburnt hydrocarbons, even before passing through the catalyst. I have studied test data for literally hundreds of engines over the past 10 years and this is absolutely consistant for all engine types. - (source)
And a HUGE(!) red flag can be found in the YouTube vid, where he documents his "experiment" getting him 48 mpg on the highway.... For crying out loud, he was drafting a full-size van!

Houston, we have a credibility problem!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
100 MPG here I come

BetsyBio - '89 Toyota Pickup Base Model

Here are some links I thought everyone would like to see

I have made a hydrogen generator similar to the one you see in the video below with and have had positive outcomes testing on small engines.

Here is a forum for just hydro cars

http://www.hydropowercar.com/forum_viewforum.php?6

Here is one that is made professionally tailored towards truckers

http://ihsresearch.com/

And here are some other videos and sites on the subject

http://www.savefuel.ca/hydrogen/
http://www.savefuel.ca/hydrogen/
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/
http://www.angelfire.com/ak5/energy21/hydroboost.htm

How ever you may feel on the subject I think it worth a try

The more we explore these technologies the closer we come to finding a solution to the energy crises in this world, whatever the solution may be
Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
100 MPG here I come

Almost forgot this one its a truck that is powered of of Biodiesel and Hydrogen made buy the same shop that does Pimp My ride

http://www.galpinautosports.com/gall...p?car=biohydro

and here is a page to the site that built the hydro injection system

http://www.saeenergy.com/03_hydrogen.htm
http://www.saeenergy.com/products.htm
Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is this snake oil sales? I am not seeing samples of success stories with this, just sales tactics, and marketing tactics.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Trying to git er done

NealMobile2 - '97 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 28.37 mpg (US)
I know that this thread has not been written in for a while, but I still wanted to post a comment.

I currently have a Hydrogen booster installed in my car and so far I have only seen a decrease in fuel economy. Yet, my friend who installed the exact same setup on his car saw about a 20-30% increase in mileage.

We both made it with our own plans so there is nothing copied off of the internet. Our plan was to separate the Hydrogen from the Oxygen so that we did not have to implement any electronics because of the added oxygen. It worked for him, not for me.

I am not stopping there though. I am currently a senior in Automotive Engineering and I plan on doing some proper testing to see if it is possible to get the desired increase in fuel economy. There have been so many questions out there that remain to be unanswered. I might possibly use this as an independent study so that I can spend more time on it and maybe get funding for my research.

The ultimate question: Does it work, or does it not.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I built a Smack booster earlier this year with mostly scrounged parts, so it didnt cost me much. I could noticeably feel the engine being dragged down. And my mileage stayed basically the same at what I was getting for years, 32 mpg on downstate trips. I may have gotten 33 once with the booster, but IIRC I got 31 the next tank so it averaged out. I did start a 101 cell Boyce style box last year but Im in no hurry to finish it. Ill probably work on it in the dead of winter when theres really not much else to do. I dont really expect it to accomplish anything, but since I started it I might as well finish.

Compare that with using what I have learned on this site. Such as aeromods, the mpguino, driving with load, all the good stuff. Ive gotten 10 times more gains from what Ive learned here. Ive gotten over 40 mpg on downstate trips using what Ive learned here. Snow is gone and last couple mornings on the way to work Ive gotten 35 mpg. Im learning to do better all the time.

Oh yeah I also built an EFIE, and a map sensor adjuster. The EFIE gave disastrous results on mileage. Like a drop from 32 to 26. The map sensor modifier didnt really increase mileage, but it did feel like a hint more power by reducing the signal by 100-150mv. I may play with it more sometime, but again Ive gotten 10 times the gains by ecomodding/ecodriving.

Hey Neal, I see youre in Big Rapids. I either pass there or stop there every other weekend. Maybe we could meet up sometime.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 11-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Trying to git er done

NealMobile2 - '97 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 28.37 mpg (US)
Hmmmm. Yah, I used to be very optimistic about the Hydrobooster because my friend was telling me about the gains that he had. I am going to continue to research/test whether or not it really does work.

I just got my efie and my ScangaugeII a few days ago and should probably have them installed and working within a week or two. Just depends on my school schedule. Plus my school just got in a flow gauge so we plan on doing some proper testing on my current designs and some future plans.

Yup, I'm going to school in Big Rapids right now. I think it would be awesome to get together to swap ideas and see what we've each done. I'm driving down to Detroit over Thanksgiving and hope to have everything up and running so I can do some proper road tests. PM me the next time you come out this way!

Reply  Post New Thread