View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
As long as government blocks the 40% more efficient diesel engine in the USA, government is in the way.
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Preview | J.D. Power - being sold in all 50 states

2009 Honda Accord Diesel and New Honda Hybrids for 2009 - Car News/Green Machines/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver
I don't think Honda is offering a 2009 Diesel, however...

Government didn't prevent any company from developing lower emissions diesels.... Emissions standards changed, no automakers had advanced enough on their own to meet them. It's obvious that the automakers didn't want to jump out of the diesel market, so they moved forward and met the standards... And by leave the market, I mean the very few automakers that sold diesel cars before the new emissions standards...

Even with that said, fueleconomy.gov has diesels listed....
VW Jetta
VW Sportwagen
5 vehicles from Mercedes (too rich for me )
4 vehicles from Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2WD and 4WD
VW Tuareg
VW New Beetle
VW Golf
VW Jetta
Mercedes E320
Jeep Liberty/Cherokee
VW Tuareg

2000 - before Tier II
VW New Beetle
VW Jetta
VW Golf
VW
1999 - Before Tier II
VW New Beetle
VW Golf
VW Jetta
Merc E300
Chevy Tahoe 4WD
GMC Yukon 4WD

The way I'm seeing it - it's not government killing the diesel car... Before Tier II, ULSD, etc. VW was dominating, and really there wasn't much in the way of alternatives choices for other cars (unless you wanted a v8 Yukon or 6cyl Jeep rated for 18/23 ).... Jeep keeps dabbling in it, before and after Tier II - but they're not offering it, and I'm fairly certain it's not because they don't have the emissions technology (as per their 2008 offerings)...

Feel free to browse for yourself
Compare Diesels Side-by-Side