View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
recycle diary covers as pro dashboard panels

even in this age of electronic diaries, with the end of the year approaching a lot of people will soon be looking for a new paper diaries.
and so a lot of old ones will end up in the garbage bin.

during my lunchbreak today and i had little nap in the car, and i started thinking about an ugly gluespot on the lid on my ashtray where the previous owner had stuck a badge or similar. I was considering covering the while lid with some fake wood film when i noticed my old 2007 diaries i'd kept for a year, with had a nice fake leathery cover, which matches the finish of the dashboard rather well.

this sort of material might also come in handy to finish off custom switch panels for start/stop switches or lcd displays you might install in available cavities such as small storage shelves or in the dashboard.

since the material is flexible you might even consider placeing a button behind it as an anti theft measure or just as a cool feature.

when i finish it i'll post some pictures, but i thought i'd mention the idea as during the next months there'll be a lot of old diaries available.
perhaps even new ones as un-soled 2008 examples will be quite worthless by now if any store still has them in stock...you might get a classy one for a fraction of the original price.

Not directly FE related but it might help giving some diy additions to the interior a more finished,stock and perhaps even classy look with recycled materials.

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*