View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Yep, my American Make Acura was indeed manufactured in Japan (along with its Honda Integra counterparts). It has truly been a role model for durability and trouble-free, efficient operation.

I can't say the same of the new '03 Mitsu Evo-8 I once had. Sub-par build quality lead to transmission alignment issues and grinding on perfectly normal shifts. They sent a tech from Japan to diagnose and repair it. They fixed it, but it was never "right". Fun car, but problematic -- lots of warranty work and time in the shop. Complimentary rental base Sebrings were a terrible replacement during the repair time. I didn't buy that kind of "performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
OO - Yes, that would be a nice gesture. Also, consider making friends with your dealer's service techs... they can help in ways you wouldn't believe when you need that $400 OEM part that can't be gotten anywhere but the dealer.

Example - Friend needed an ECU for his '94 NSX (Honda, not Acura) (Yes, there is a difference). Dealer part, end of story. Talk to dealer, $1600, and it's not even warrantied, shipped from Japan. (That's the difference.). Also, used.

Talk to another dealer that I buy parts from when they're cheaper or better quality, I can get the same ECU, again, used, from someone they know that just put an aftermarket tuning system in his car and didn't keep the OEM part... $300. (The cost of the tuning ECU he used.).

Lesson - Dealers will mark up anything they can get away with, especially when they know you can't get it anywhere else. Make friends w/the dealer, they'll cut you alot of breaks. That dealer I know could have (and by all rights, should have) charged us $1600 for that ECU. They didn't. Because I know them, and they know me.
I once had a good rapport with the local Honda dealer when I ran Auto-X in a '99 Civic Si. They modified alignment outside of specs for superior handling and swapped summer tires for free. Best car (and dealer relationship) I had...

For Teggy, those days are long gone. I do most of the repairs myself, except for body work and perhaps the timing and aux belts/pullies/water pump. I may tackle that next time. Otherwise, a local shop may get my biz. A few dealers in the area are pretty crooked.

-Rick

_
_