View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #39 (permalink)
Intrigued
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Hey, sofunky, everyone here pretty well agrees that the best (and easiest) way by far to get better mileage is by "adjusting the nut behind the wheel." That's us, by the way...

How I did it was by making staying off of the brake pedal a game. Watch ahead and anticipate stoplights or turns (when you're not in traffic) and let momentum carry you there. If you get the opportunity, you'll be shocked at how far you can coast from 40 mph in town. Stay under the higher speed limits, since when you reach the 60 mph range every mile per hour makes a difference. Stay locked in behind some SUV, at a safe distance, and let them give you a draft. My favorite, since I have the "AC" button on the dash, is to shut it off when going uphill or when accelerating, to save energy or keep the torque convertor locked in, keeping your engine speed down. Of course, if you don't need it on, keep it shut off!

The tough part is keeping your mind in the game. I've driven in LA before (my youngest brother lives just south of there) and it's pretty crazy. If you'll pretend your car has something really wrong with it, and baby it, or just stay in the slow lane (well, sometimes there's no such thing!), you'll be surprised at how much better you'll do. Shoot, just follow around the "little old ladies" and pretend you can't get into the fast lane! I've managed to get 35% better than EPA by doing just those things in the Intrigue, and it's sized pretty closely to your Acura.

My kid brother rides his bike a lot and bought the special road pass transmitter (or whatever they call it) to stay off of the 10-lane traffic jamb roads. He found he saved enough in gas from avoiding those roll-at-5-mph-for-an-hour traffic jambs to pay for the restricted road access, and can sleep in longer, to boot!

Game on!!!

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...