Thread: Top score list?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
guudasitgets
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 34.16 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 19.81 mpg (US)
Intrigued; The gears are always in constant mesh the sychro's do the shifting, but racing sychro's used to be had with every other tooth missing. In indycars and other formula racing we used Hewland gearboxes with straight-cut gears and no sycro's at all, you have to shift fast and double clutch if you didn't. Ecomodder tip; straight-cut gears are stronger and use MUCH less horspower. We ground all the teeth off everything from 2nd to 3rd for qualifying to save rotating mass, after that we started machining blank out dummy gears from aluminium. we also had aluminium differential cariers,for qualifying automatic transmision fluid in the gearbox and wheel bearings, hey they only had to run for a few laps! Qualifying motors had narrow contact area on the crank and rod bearings. Now theres things like ceramic wheel bearings floating on helium gas pressure. Vacum pumps evacuating the crank cases (internal engine part rotating in a vacume make more horsepower and have less resistance) you can actually make one of these from an old smog air pump. There's more; I'll write about it when I get time, my latest intrest is Bonneville.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608