Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Impala - '04 Chevrolet Impala base
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
(chuckles at Intrigued) So far in my area, I have put my 6-cylinder up against some of the 4-cylinder vehicles and surprised them. Granted a couple of issues have been found that have allowed for a rematch later on (neighbor's 07 Malibu 4 cylinder found to have bad coilpack and a faulty o2 sensor) but I am confident in what my girl does for me. Now just looking at a quick glance, I see that Intrigued's quad4 is a touch behind my v-6, so in the spirit of friendly challenge, hop to it Intrigued!!! (grins)

Last edited by Unforgiven; 11-19-2008 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: noted the vehicle of Intrigued
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ugh, what a difference adding in the latest fuel fillings has done... I really need to be home more and let the other driver have thier vehicle back...
So for all my bluster about Intrigue's numbers, they now soundly beat me!! wtg...lol
Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
LOL! Been there, done that, needing to buy the t-shirt! You're on for a little friendly competition! (grin back at ya!)

Hey, mine is actually a 4-cam V-6. My main problem is that, in being an old drag racer, and way too competitive, when some butthead comes up and thinks he just has to be in front of me, I still take offense to it...once in a while...

Yeah, sometimes the 6-cylinder cars get BETTER mileage, due to having the oomph to pull themselves down the road much more easily. It's a tangled web for whoever does the sorting, and I wouldn't want the job - at all.

Hey, I looked at your numbers, and your best is just a couple of mpg or so better than mine. I seem to be stuck in the mid 20s for the winter, but then I'm not getting a lot of miles on the road, since all of my current classes are either all online or hybrids. Almost everything I do is short trip and the car doesn't even get a chance to warm up. I gotta do something about an electric vehicle for short trips!!!

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 34.16 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 19.81 mpg (US)
Intrigued; to to a drag racer from an Indy-car mechanic, use what you already know you past half the bunch already
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608
Old 11-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hey thanks, guudasitgets! It's been a while since I was a master mechanic for the GM dealership, but I do remember some of the things the guys were doing in the '80s fuel crunch. It's too bad that you can't just recurve your distributor any more, play with carb jetting, and stuff like that. All computerized now...

Dad was a dirt track racer in the '50s, so it's kinda in my blood. I got the "brake pedal is my enemy" game from INDY/NASCAR, for when a car needs to conserve fuel. (Yeah, I know... not an eco-conscious source ) Which reminds me of an old speed-shifting trick which I need to put on the EV blog somewhere, for the guys who have EVs with no clutch. (File every other tooth off of certain gears, so they mesh easier when shifting.) I can't remember which ones, and it's been 50 years since Dad was doing it to the old '49-'51 Fords, so it may be a lost art. I'll ask him and see if he remembers...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

LOL, I hear you there about the "competitive urge"... have been guilty of it to from time to time <tilts head waiting for the sirens to start again> oops

Heh, I did some time in the automotive wrenching but was never set enough to go for the Master's badge, cudos to you Intrigue.

Perhaps you might have seen the DIY thread I started asking about the new 6 speed auto available in the Saturn Aura, which I am thinking might be a nice, if expensive, upgrade/modification for my Impala. Will dig for the link....
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...info-6064.html
Still have to get more info and specs on the new trans, a 6T70/75 and on initial info I have gathered is a full GM unit at the core. Biggest thing will be getting the proper control module as well for the swap, if the case is a decent match... ah well, time will tell.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Intrigued; The gears are always in constant mesh the sychro's do the shifting, but racing sychro's used to be had with every other tooth missing. In indycars and other formula racing we used Hewland gearboxes with straight-cut gears and no sycro's at all, you have to shift fast and double clutch if you didn't. Ecomodder tip; straight-cut gears are stronger and use MUCH less horspower. We ground all the teeth off everything from 2nd to 3rd for qualifying to save rotating mass, after that we started machining blank out dummy gears from aluminium. we also had aluminium differential cariers,for qualifying automatic transmision fluid in the gearbox and wheel bearings, hey they only had to run for a few laps! Qualifying motors had narrow contact area on the crank and rod bearings. Now theres things like ceramic wheel bearings floating on helium gas pressure. Vacum pumps evacuating the crank cases (internal engine part rotating in a vacume make more horsepower and have less resistance) you can actually make one of these from an old smog air pump. There's more; I'll write about it when I get time, my latest intrest is Bonneville.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

Old 11-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ahh, yes. A man who plays with the Big Boys. Some of that I've heard of; some not.

Back to the tranny stuff: I still haven't had a chance to talk to Dad yet, but synchros have not been around all that long. If I remember right (someone in the know correct me here ), on the '49 to '51 Fords, there was only partial synchronization, and grinding down teeth helped a lot. It would help with mass, for sure. A '51 Victoria with the Mercury engine, Offy intake and two 2-barrel carbs, milled heads, and a 3-speed with overdrive was the first car I ever drove...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Some of those old cars had real sliding gear transmissions. In that case ya I gues if you cut down the leading edge of the gears it would go into gear easier. VL harleys were all sliding gear, no dog rings, your shifter actually moved the gear.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well, I knew that at some time I had seen Dad working on trannys that had sliding gears, but it could have well been John Deere tractors, for all I knew...

I guess the pertinent thing now is, would it help the Geo Metro trannys that the folks are using that are going clutchless? I know they are having to rpm-match to change gears, similar to the way the truck drivers do...

First gear is pretty useless for some of them, so it could be ground down to save mass, for that matter. Many of them are starting in second and going to third, but I'm guessing those are using a different fork in the Metros...

...and we probably should be posting this in some type of modification thread, now that we're practically done with it...

Reply  Post New Thread