View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #89 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
chevy is really good at making aero cars..... stingray corvette, cleaned up bodywise I doubt you could do much better

[img[http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DES/D694~Chevy-Corvette-Stingray-Posters.jpg[/img]

and there are a few 7th gen civic Si's running around with RSX-s transmissions which are 6speed and have a taller final drive, they get signficiantly better gas milage. one guy thew the type s final on his Si gears with a TSX 5th added as 6th (confused yet?) for much taller gears (he also has a bored and stroked with a LOT more power) and gets around 38mpg out of it. this vs my stock motor with almost 100less hp and stock gears at 10mpg less....
Curvaceous lines is not an indication of an aerodynamic car

For example, 1969 Opel GT, lots of curvyness that screams to the masses "air just gets out of my way."

A = 1.51 m^2
cD = .41 --- not too bad for the time period

And the 1974, VW Scirocco... Screams "I'm a boxy car, listen to the turbulence I make!"

A = 1.73 m^2
cD = .41

There's likely many other examples with cars that are "boxy" versus "curvy" with identical form drag numbers

------
For the OP:
I would put neither of those cars on the list
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	309555_7_full.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	2193   Click image for larger version

Name:	web-volkswagen-scirocco-gt-1978.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	34.8 KB