View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #403 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Bruce chimes in late...

Quote:
Did you keep the tranny or what did you do for power transmission between the engine and the wheels?

I'd be OK with a reference to an earlier post #.
No prob.

Kept the stock tranny... we need it, since our setup doesn't have much power - 225A max when the golf cart controller is cold; less as it heats up (which is fairly quickly). I've been driving in 1st & 2nd gears, upshifting around 3000-4000 RPM.

Technically, the closest car to the old ForkenSwift is the old CitiCar/ComutaCar:

Same voltage (48) & number of floodies (8).

These cars are direct drive through the differential, but it also has much more oomph because it's got a straight contactor controller (in stock form), so with your foot on the floor, there's a direct connection from the batts to the motor @ 48v. These cars apparently go 40-45 mph, and can drive in normal traffic. Though they are also 500 lbs lighter (1400 vs 1900 est.)

The FS can't do that. I have to stick to side streets because it just can't accelerate at a "normal" rate, even with shifting.

To solve this, ultimately we'll put in either a more powerful controller, or a contactor bypass. Even with more power on tap, to maximize range I'll still accelerate like a granny on valium when nobody's around me though. And I'll still shift, because it's more efficient (I think - could be wrong).
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget