View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #382 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

MPaulHolmes-

I've got an idea for a power boost-a partial Baja conversion. It's time-consuming, but the Kit's about $700 last I checked, less than another battery string-and the less weight you haul, the more power you get!

I have a neighbor who's just starting a VW EV of his own, a 96V to start with, and has graciously allowed me to be his part-time Padawan. The first step I recommended(following the Engine removal and cleaning) was to lose as much Chassis weight as possible. So we've turned it into a 2 seater, enabling a more even spread to the Battery trays and better weight distribution, and we're also in the process of making a semi-Baja of it. The nose will be reduced to half-size, all four fenders are gone and the engine cover also gone, with the Bay trimmed a bit. Since we have some floor rust we'll cut the whole thing out from pedal to just behind the front seats, leaving the Steel behind that for the Batts.

The nose and fenders will be replaced with the Fiberglass ones with the Baja kit, the Floorpans with Fiberglass replacements and the front seats will be replaced with lighter, smaller ones-I don't know where he got them, but they're comfy! Between the fiberglass and the seats we're at least 300lbs under when we began, that's not counting the engine, clutch or exhaust either...

In a normal Baja kit, one would finish with a jacked-up frame, oversized tires, an exposed engine bay with a protective cage and a redesigned exhaust system. In our case though, the frame remains at standard height, no cage and i'm in the process of forming a Mini-cover from Coroplast, covering it with two layers of Fiberglass when i've got the design just right and affixing it to the steel. Due to the lessened nose and tail, and the expanded space behind the front seats, the Electrics will be as follows-two Batteries in the nose, two in the engine box with the Motor, four over the back axle and all the bundled Electronics in front of that for a balanced load. The original Starter Battery will be replaced by a Deep-cycle matching the others but on its own circuit for the lights etc(my neighbor plans on a 12V charger per battery, so it will charge with the same cord).

The we grab some slightly thinner tires, and my part's done. Afterwards I just sit back and watch-and learn.