View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #388 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Intrigued! I am going to ask my wife to get me a Nuke The Whales T-shirt for Christmas. I'm excited!

My African American wife gave me permission to ask, "What is Oprah's ..."
(WIFE EDIT).

I need a good project that doesn't cost any money. I still want to make a reasonably priced controller. I know I can do it! I need an oscilloscope, and an Atmel programmer that can transfer the program from the computer to the microcontroller chip (i'm going to use the AtMega16). Ian from Zero Emissions Vehicles Australia just finished a 500 or 600 amp 156v controller. The parts cost $400 Australian. I have gone through much of the process without actually building it. In other words, I've done almost nothing! But I am mostly done with the software for the controller. Temperature shutdown, high pedal lockout, etc... I need a mill too. I will use 200v components. I'll make it as kitlike as possible and help people make it for free. I bet a basic 144v 400 amp controller is doable for like $300 in parts (or less? We'll see.). It's one of the things on my list. It's going to be tough having 3 whole weeks of NO MONEY and no work! What a horrible combination!

Next quarter I'm teaching 3 classes! So, I'll maybe have enough money if my wife get's subbing work to get an oscilloscope and I'll get started on it. I might make the frequency like 1 or 2 kHz to cut down on switching losses. I'll have to figure out how to mask the annoying sound..

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 12-28-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Oprah slander removed at request of wife.