View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
For me, it's always about money... I've been trying to get better mileage than my dad and most of my family ever since I got my license.

But, even though gas prices are crazy low now, think about it... supply vs. demand.. even if supply goes up, demand will eventually decrease with the new technology out there and even those things that are just up and coming... when demand decreases, so does supply... and prices WILL go back up as a result... It will become less lucrative to produce in smaller amounts, and the end user will see the heat from it, in the form of prices so prohibitively high, it will eventually FORCE us to switch to something that may not have been "cheaper" or "doable" before.

Now, my uncle goes and buys a Prius... And drives it just like the average driver drives... wastefully.

So, I'll just get something that is more fun to drive, and meet or beat his efficiency... one day, he'll realize that it's not what you drive, but how you drive it.

By the way, he's the only person I know that gets sub-50 highway OR city in a Prius... He's never topped 45mpg, so at one point, I was matching him in my old Civic.