View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
Apples and oranges, my friend. A similar SMALL CAR to the prius fully loaded is under 20k. A similar bigass luxury landyaght with a hybrid engine is more expensive than a bigass luxury landyaght that guzzles gas.

Dollar for dollar you get WAY more car for the price of a pruis if you're shopping non-hybrid. Also, the gas-money break-even on a car similar to the pruis is VERY long term. Therefore, the only reason to buy one is that you're a hippie. That's all i'm saying...

btw, I love the term "big hat, no cattle".
I agree not to compare to bigass/luxury/hummeresque cars... But the prius isn't exactly a "small" car. It's classified as a midsize, as such, it should be compared with other midsize vehicles... Camry, Accord, Fusion, Malibu?, etc.

The most direct comparison is likely with the Camry - same company and likely similar mfr techniques/costs, same country, same size class, potentially some parts sharing.... 09 Camry (21/31) ~$19K, 09 Prius (48/45) is ~$22K (both starting prices). $3,000 buys a significant amount of gas, even at a $3 price.

Quote:
I had a chance to attend the SF International Auto Show on Saturday, and spend about 15 minutes watching the CalCars technicians do an on-site live demo, retrofitting a second gen Toyota Prius with their auxilliary plug-in lithium-Ion battery pack. I don't own a Prius, but certainly was impressed.
I think I remember seeing them do one at MakerFaire a couple years ago... It was pretty sweet I also used to work down the street from Luscious Garage which had a PHEV Prius in front of their shop.