View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
and that makes you a hippie... but understand that i don't mean that in a bad way at all.

The refinement of a BMW is far beyond its leather seats and large engine. Some pretty crappy cars have those features. It is about fit and finish. Steering feel. Ability to handle adverse conditions with traction control, stability management and abs. Running at autobahn speeds and still being whisper quiet. Suspension that is built of higher quality and more precice engineering. A shifter that 'just feels better' because they took the time to make it that way. These are the things that people who are buying a bmw are paying for. You don't get these out of a prius. I'm guessing you've never driven a fully loaded recent model bimmer.

Put a hybrid drive train in a car as nice as a bimmer and you will be spending more than the bimmer without one.

What i'm sayin is, spending extra money to use less gas is a hippie thing to do. I'm not saying its a bad thing.

My expectation is that as the electric and hybrid techs advance, they will become cheaper than their gas counterparts in overall operating cost over the life of the vehicle.