View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
WaxyChicken
Nomadic Chicken

I Found a motor

I found a motor. It's not yet tested (jumper cables were in my wife's car) and i thought it said 10 hp but when i got home and cleaned it off i discovered the zer0 was actually a bit of dirt.

I didn't have time to finish posting the images up to image shack because i had to get to work, but here's what i recall about the motor.

Brand: General Electric
Original Use: Electric power jack main drive motor
Cable Connections: 4
RPM: 1600
Volts: 12
Amps: 84 (i think, I'll double check.)
HP: 1 (i thought it said 10HP bah! damn Arizona desert dust!)
Weight: 40lbs (bathroom scale)
Diameter: 6 1/2 inch
Length: 9 3/4 inch
Winding: Series
Cost to me: $30
Untested!

I also jotted down a diagram that i saw on the cover of the lift. it looked like the motor's connection info so i thought it might be important.

THAT drawing i was able to upload:

I'll post up the full stats of the motor when i get home tonight and let the advice pile up over night as i sleep.
I couldn't get the controller because apparently controllers are the first thing to get stripped of parts out there.
One of the covers came off of the motor due to age and was missing. (sealed brush DC) and i took a look in. That is the only other picture i was able to get uploaded today.

I was expecting this to be some kind of a 10HP motor, but was so terriably disappointed when i managed to clean off the dust and discover it was only 1HP. so i know i goofed there, i just don't know how bad.
tomorrow i test it and upload the other pics.

Good news: My wife has granted me permission to go with something other than a pickup truck for testing my first EV build (after i get the electronics together). this leaves more options open.

They have motors there as big as 20 inches in diameter. The problem is that you have to pay before they are even pulled out of the lifts so there is no way to test them before purchase (they pull them, they scrap them). For a 20 diameter motor you can expect to pay about $50. That's a big loss if it doesn't run and no controller.

So go ahead and toss out your first thoughts on this motor to me. i'll post up the complete info later.

and to my wife - Thank you honey, i love you.

BTW - Keep in mind that out here the problem isn't RUST, the problem is DUST - it gets into everything.