View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
i'm also working on a variable grillblock, but it's easier said than done on some cars.
i've looked at existing vents but found non suitable for my car's layout, and while working on a fully scratchbuild active grillblock has been fun so far, it'll be quite some time before i entrust it with the safety of my engine....

aerodynamicly speaking they're superior but they'd still require either you or a mechanical or electric device to monitor the temperatures,, all these can potentially fail and add complexity.

a device that uses the laws of physics to create a virtual full grillblock at speed, but offers no restriction when the car is moving slowly; and that without the use of moveing parts sounds quite appealing to me... IF something like what i describe can actually do that, wich is the reason for this post really.

anyway, yesterday i slaped the piece of plastic on my car, and although i only drove for a short distance i noticed that the engine temp was a little higher, but still not above my summer average (this was with the heater running though and i know that makes a big difference)

the car felt different, although not really in a nice way. i think the what the front bumper is designed with works a bit like a splitter, and perhaps the fairing removes some downforce there.
also the stagnation point might be a little lower now causing more air to go over the car, but as the lower grill is closed more air will go under as well.

to bad i don't have a ny good fe feedback of i would know immediately if it did something good or not

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*