View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
slurp812
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver EP3 - '02 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrive7 View Post
I tried EOCing in my 2005 Chevy Cobalt once, and despite it being on that dinghy towable list, I won't be trying it again. I was on a long down-sloping stretch of country road with nobody around, so I popped it into neutral and shut the engine off. I was rolling at about 40mph, brakes and steering felt ok, so I kept going until I got to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. I kicked the engine back on so I had my power brakes back and came to a stop at the sign.

When I pulled away from the stop the car was acting like a manual trans. with very poor clutch work. Shifts were hard and jerky, and coming to a stop the RPMs would drop to around 500 shaking the whole car before it popped out of gear. It did this the rest of the way home. The car sat for about 30 minutes before I needed it again and the problem was gone, I think it just drained too much fluid from the torque converter, and it never got a chance to refill, or something. I don't know all that much about transmissions. It hasn't been a problem since then (3 months).
That does sound VERY strange! Prolly pissed off something computer-wise.
Lack of fluid in the torque converter would just not want to go.