View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
More playing with the Mr. Tea....

I put the heating element back in the shell and then removed the top, to access the internal "exit" tube. I pulled that and looped it so that the heated water would just squirt back into the cold water resevoir, instead of having to go to an external cup, make a mess, loose heat, etc.

I filled the machine with could water. It holds a little less than a quart.

I flipped the machine on, with the exit hose pinned down and a kitchen thermometer held in place in the water resevoir.

I set a timer and checked the temperature as it went up.

Here's the temperatures in ℉. after various times.

3 mins: 140℉
4 mins: 160℉
6 mins: 185℉
7 mins: 196℉
8 mins: BOILING! Ack! Why did I turn away from my experiment right then! It started squirting all over my kitchen! :

The thermo-cut-off never cut in. I think it is only designed to turn off power at something like 400 degrees.
Again, I am only experimenting right now for fun, and to see how all this might work.

I think it shows that a heater element like this one has plenty of power to heat water or anti-freeze to significant temperatures!

A system actually installed for heat in an electric car would need a separate on/off switch, safety cut-off, and likely a pressure relief of some sort.

I did NOT do this experiment with anti-freeze because it costs more, is messy, and I don't want to use my only kitchen (FOOD) thermometer in anti-freeze!

As to compatibility of anti-freeze with the Mr. Tea, what's the concern? It's an aluminum tube. Aren't there lots of aluminum parts on cars nowadays? Do those cars require special coolant?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos