View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Rick -

[cue world's smallest violin ...]

I've been getting stinky tanks too, but I have no excuse in LA. I think it's the combo of cold, some wet, and XMas traffic. I just switched from 87 to 89 Octance on the (remote) chance it will give me a boost (it's cheap!).

[/end cue]

What is snow? Do you mean shaved ice?

CarloSW2
That's just harsh man . The traffic was indeed very LA-like, and I thought, "It must stink to have this year 'round". The biggest difference this time around was the lack of road treatment. The slow lane had snow plowed into it, 8+ inches of snow. That meant that the air dam was scooping up snow. Bad for FE, but an impromptu grille block for those 35 mph high-speed run-ups.

I too switched to higher-octane this tank. The highly calibrated butt-dyno noted that low-RPM power is up considerably since the timing is at full advance. It's just getting those IATs up or else it's for naught. There's a crazy scheme going on under the hood, with aluminum foil, to trap heat and direct it to the intake. It seems to work if headwinds aren't higher than 20-30 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
I filled up on Monday night...it snowed on Tuesday night...great way to start a tank.

Thankfully I only have a 4 mile commute...which resulted in a 17.5 mpg tank on the Scanguage this morning. Trip to PA next week...highway driving will hopefully save this tank...barring snowstorm (which is a predicted 6" for Sunday).
Same here -- snow/ice all week. I'm going to stretch the tank to another round-trip today in hopes I don't get that "red line" on my latest entry on the fuel log graph.

Best of luck -- hopefully the road trip will even-out your tank.

Martin- welcome to 'group'. I'm sure your extended season isn't easy. Any tips or coping techniques? Argh, why can't people leave people's tire pressures alone!

Hang in there, it will get warmer... sometime...

-Rick

_
_