View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #82 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
And now I have to correct you. Nitrile is the ONLY glove out of Latex, Neoprene, Nitrile, or Vinyl that works "Fair" in Xylene, on a scale of "Excellent", "Good", "Fair", "Poor". The other three glove types are "Poor". Toluene is "Poor" in all four glove types and will break them down in a relatively short period of time.
Just because something protects slightly better than the worst possible materials does not mean it is acceptable. Nitrile gloves would only be acceptable if there were no good alternatives - and there are. Several glove materials perfom very well with xylene, the most common being polyvinyl alcohol (PVA). PVA gloves are readily available and are not expensive. Viton is another good choice.

So I stand by my evaluation that neither nitrile nor neoprene are acceptable glove materials to use with xylene or toluene. But good for you to know about glove compatibility tables. Laboratory people are usually the most knowledgeable about how to find chemical safety information. Unfortunately the table you happened to find first only listed compatibility information for four glove materials.

Last edited by instarx; 12-18-2008 at 06:14 PM..