Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Model T's were produced from 1907 to 1927. The first gasoline pipeline was built in 1918 in WY. and it was 40 miles long. Model T's were designed to run on what ever was available, even homebrew. The first concrete highway was built in 1913 in Arkansas (22 miles long). Can you imagine trying to drive from Ohio to New York in 1914 with dirt roads, pathetic tires and VERY FEW gas stations.

IMHO we have ethanol in our gasoline for two reasons. Iowa is one of the early presidential primary's (caucus in this case). Collectively farmers have way too much influence on national policy and politics.

IF commercial fisherman had greater influence in Wash. DC than farmers, we would be talking about F85 and the effects of mixing Fish Oil with gasoline as a substitute for MTBE.

"MTBE was added as an "oxygenate", as is Ethanol."

An MTBE became an environmental nightmare. And grain based Ethanol is the "fuel instead of food" nightmare. If airlines were run like the federal government, we would NEVER fly!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
And now I have to correct you. Nitrile is the ONLY glove out of Latex, Neoprene, Nitrile, or Vinyl that works "Fair" in Xylene, on a scale of "Excellent", "Good", "Fair", "Poor". The other three glove types are "Poor". Toluene is "Poor" in all four glove types and will break them down in a relatively short period of time.
Just because something protects slightly better than the worst possible materials does not mean it is acceptable. Nitrile gloves would only be acceptable if there were no good alternatives - and there are. Several glove materials perfom very well with xylene, the most common being polyvinyl alcohol (PVA). PVA gloves are readily available and are not expensive. Viton is another good choice.

So I stand by my evaluation that neither nitrile nor neoprene are acceptable glove materials to use with xylene or toluene. But good for you to know about glove compatibility tables. Laboratory people are usually the most knowledgeable about how to find chemical safety information. Unfortunately the table you happened to find first only listed compatibility information for four glove materials.

Last edited by instarx; 12-18-2008 at 06:14 PM..
Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
Just because something protects slightly better than the worst possible materials does not mean it is acceptable. Nitrile gloves would only be acceptable if there were no good alternatives - and there are. Several glove materials perfom very well with xylene, the most common being polyvinyl alcohol (PVA). PVA gloves are readily available and are not expensive. Viton is another good choice.

So I stand by my evaluation that neither nitrile nor neoprene are acceptable glove materials to use with xylene or toluene. But good for you to know about glove compatibility tables. Laboratory people are usually the most knowledgeable about how to find chemical safety information. Unfortunately the table you happened to find first only listed compatibility information for four glove materials.
I stand corrected . I only have access to these four types of gloves, though never needed to utilize either of the above chemicals in our lab. I usually only work with melamine formaldehydes, lattices, and resins.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #84 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Nitrile works fine (according to OSHA) when you're only using the chemical xylene or toluene as a solvent to clean tooling. Which is it's PRIMARY function in my life. Handling it with nitrile for long enough to pour it into a can of gas and mix isn't going to deteriorate the gloves, and they're disposed of after each use.

As far as not getting burned with light contact, this is only true if you have less than normal skin, or if your skin is naturally oily. How would I know this? I used to get it on me all the time, hence the reason you SHOULD wear at least sleeves, if not an apron.

In a laboratory, the environment is much different than in the rest of the world, where you're handling these chemicals like they're an everyday part of your life. (because they are).

You put a caulk gun into the bucket, toss your slickers (spatulas, caulk knives) into the bucket, put the lid on it, and move to the next job site. Once you're there, clean your stuff up with rags, put the used rags in bags, wipe yourself down to remove the chemical from your skin, and go to work.

If you're smart, while you're getting ready to get your tools out, you'll put on either long gloves or gloves and sleeves, possibly toss an apron over your head. It's called common sense.

In most cases, over protecting yourself is the best way to go.

And I know from personal experience how fast Xylene can burn you, and I know from OSHA training to use Dn-A to clean it off your skin, as water will not remove the residue, and it will continue to burn. (Water beads in the presence of most aromatic chemicals.)

I understand your enthusiasm in trying to make sure that everyone knows the "facts" about the chemical, but my overprotective post on chemical safety was equally valid, due to the non-laboratory conditions that you and I both know will occur.

Also - when you say that taking the "most dangerous chemical in the world" approach isn't always smart, I completely disagree with this.

Thinking that people will not react properly when they come in contact with more dangerous chemicals is not a valid point, since if you're constantly reacting like it's the most dangerous chemical in the world, you won't know to react any differently, therefore, you WILL NOT be more apt to use less caution with the more dangerous chemicals.

Frankly, I've been a firm believer in using AT THE VERY LEAST some form of nearly full body protection while handling almost any chemical. I wear gloves even when dumping gas into my dad's lawnmower. Granted, I don't glove my hands or wear protection when pumping gas into my car, but I stand clear so that a spray will have minimal contact area on my body.

Reply  Post New Thread