View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
DieselHybrid
EcoModding Lurker

Mom's Taxi - '05 Toyota Sienna LE 8-passenger
90 day: 22.59 mpg (US)

Diesel - '09 VW Jetta TDI
I wish the world were as simple as you say. In our global economy- oil prices are affected by a multitude of factors. Supply and demand. If one member of OPEC sneezes (yes, I know, Canada is not part of OPEC), the rest of the world runs for a hanky.

Every dollar sent overseas to buy foreign oil adds to our trade deficit. Last time I checked, in 2007-2008 we spent nearly 700 BILLION in foreign oil to satisfy our insatiable domestic energy needs. I'm glad Canada is getting a large portion of this (as is Mexico)- but inevitably Hugo and Ahmidenijad get their slice through the global market as well. (I've made no mention of Saudi Arabia's global portion. Do you recall that 17 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were of Saudi origin?)

F1 and LeMans racing in general have little bearing on overall US vehicle sales- so that argument isn't valid. We're talking about the US diesel market-correct?

Why aren't all vehicles on the road Prius? Simple, it's called freedom of choice.

I don't drive a Prius- because I can't stomach how boring it is to drive. That is my choice. However, I have driven "clean" turbo-diesels in Europe (from Ford and GM-Opel among others) that were 10x as fun to drive.

Yes, there are diesel cars available in the US right now- but I don't plan on owning one until I can buy one that is US-built. Again- this is my personal choice of wanting to support US workers.

Peace.