View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigued View Post
Everybody should remember that you need some water flow at all times the engine is running, to keep from having hot spots around the heads. (Can you say "warped heads" and "head gasket leaks"?)
I was thinking the same thing, but on a smaller scale. Hot spots around the combustion chamber along with a slightly lean mixture might result in aluminum heads getting soft and the seats loosening up, but the gage never reporting and overheat condition.

Definately low-buck, a while back I posted a picture of the one the Hudson Boys put on their Geo Metro <another thread> salt flats racer, that looked interesting to me. They used the universal kit sold by Moroso <Summit, Jeg's, etc> that I've seen on many drag cars. The ones that Christ is talking about for sb Chevy, and others, that bolt directly to the block and replace the OEM water pump are the cat's pajamas, real popular at the racetrack over the last 5 years or so.

I suppose you could reduce the voltage to slow the pump down during low engine loads, but I'm not sure if those things are rated for continuios duty on a daily driver or would flow enough volume during high load operation. Forget getting any meaningful data out of the drag parts manufacturers, the customer isn't spending enough. The more expensive one that guud is using might come with a little more customer support.