Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Losing the MISinformation

Quad Cam - '00 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX
Last 3: 25.94 mpg (US)
Everybody should remember that you need some water flow at all times the engine is running, to keep from having hot spots around the heads. (Can you say "warped heads" and "head gasket leaks"?) Even with the thermostat closed there is water circulating through the heater core, which is good in the winter for your body and the engine both!

The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal is my enemy. The brake pedal...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 54.46 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 65.39 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,973 Times in 3,609 Posts
It would be interesting to know the duty cycle of a hybrid's e-water pump (I'm assuming they've got them). Just to see what they're doing after a cold start, and during engine-off periods.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

You know, I would think an efficient way to do it would be a two-speed setup, similar to what cooling fans use. When the engine gets hot, both the fan and pump kick into high speed. :-)

Old 12-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 34.04 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 19.81 mpg (US)
Intriged this controller does that, the speed varys depending on the cooling required, but for me I think it would be fine just either on or off with no thermostat. Like I said this setup is too pricy for my little beater.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608

Last edited by guudasitgets; 12-21-2008 at 11:34 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
I think this would be cool to use with a block heater. If you can run the pump on low while heating and eliminate the thermostat, you'll have a nice even temperature through the block, rather than heating the water in one area, and having it hit a cold engine block when you start the engine.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
NightKnight

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 51.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Honda kit - image not specific, but it's a Honda kit image - Golden Eagle Racing products.

Summit Racing - List of Chevy bolt-on water pumps, Electric driven.

Looks like the cheapest drive kit that Summit has is $84+ shipping, the cheapest bolt on they have available for the Chevy is: $159.99, 35GPM.
Was looking for the Honda kit, but thought both kits were from the same vendor... Thank you!!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigued View Post
Everybody should remember that you need some water flow at all times the engine is running, to keep from having hot spots around the heads. (Can you say "warped heads" and "head gasket leaks"?)
I was thinking the same thing, but on a smaller scale. Hot spots around the combustion chamber along with a slightly lean mixture might result in aluminum heads getting soft and the seats loosening up, but the gage never reporting and overheat condition.

Definately low-buck, a while back I posted a picture of the one the Hudson Boys put on their Geo Metro <another thread> salt flats racer, that looked interesting to me. They used the universal kit sold by Moroso <Summit, Jeg's, etc> that I've seen on many drag cars. The ones that Christ is talking about for sb Chevy, and others, that bolt directly to the block and replace the OEM water pump are the cat's pajamas, real popular at the racetrack over the last 5 years or so.

I suppose you could reduce the voltage to slow the pump down during low engine loads, but I'm not sure if those things are rated for continuios duty on a daily driver or would flow enough volume during high load operation. Forget getting any meaningful data out of the drag parts manufacturers, the customer isn't spending enough. The more expensive one that guud is using might come with a little more customer support.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
Intriged this controller does that, the speed varys depending on the cooling required, but for me I think it would be fine just either on or off with no thermostat. Like I said this setup is too pricy for my little beater.
Yeah, most of us can't afford a lot of the things we would like. I was thinking out loud there that a cheap DIY would be using the control circuit for the cooling fan (a lot have a two speed relay setup) and modify it to drive a water pump motor at the higher speed when needed. It would be pretty car-specific, but there ought to be a way! If nothing else, a windshield wiper motor has to be close to a continuous duty cycle, and somewhere back there was a post about someone using one of those.

You know, there's a lot of different things that I have heard about over the years (like this) that are beginning to gel together into what would be a long-term experiment into getting much better gas mileage. Kinda exciting!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but on a smaller scale. Hot spots around the combustion chamber along with a slightly lean mixture might result in aluminum heads getting soft and the seats loosening up, but the gage never reporting and overheat condition.
+1

else we'd have electric water pumps ....
mimicking the thermal curve for all temperatures is difficult, I like the solidity of a water pump and simple thermostat that opens rheostically. the thermostat electric is as smart as it gets...in fact I go seek one. Even the older classic thermostat is still a champ.

and furthermore, there is still failures, inlines will always be a gasket exploding host spot imbalanced retarded culprit...woops I rambled a bit....
Old 12-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
NightKnight

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 51.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
...inlines will always be a gasket exploding host spot imbalanced retarded culprit...
You do have a unique way of saying things... !!

Reply  Post New Thread