View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
documented

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
I consider you an authority, however, was this a documented fact or you putting data together based on the positive impact of altering an EV-1?

Because if its true and documented, who was the bonehead that never let this gem of information leak out to the public?
trikkonceptz,I have a video from GM's public relations dept,covering the event at Ft.Stockton.The video shows speed runs with and without boat-tail,and also garage/shop coverage of the battery and "six-pack" change-out,also addition of wheelcovers,taping and boat-tail.--------------

United States Auto Club provides the velocities for flying- kilometer and flying- mile.-------------------

I also have the Lease brochure GM provided the Saturn dealers( mine is from Saturn of Tucson.Arizona,where I test-drove the EV-1 in 1996 ) which handled the EV-1.The brochure covers all new- car specs plus race results.--------------------

CAR and DRIVER Magazine covered the story and published the test results at Ft. Stockton.---------------------

Additionally,Mechanical Engineering Magazine reported on the development of GM's PNGV car which used the EV-1 for it'd windtunnel "mule",and listed "points" criteria for structures of the EV-1.------------

I used GM published figures where available.Since a"true-length" side profile photograph of the EV-1 at Ft.Stockton is in the lease brochure,I was able to make measurements off the photograph and using GM's published dimensions for the car,determine both the "drop",and length of boat-tail ( which are not published).---------------------

Horsepower for the race version were are deduced from Ohm's Law given the elevated voltage with the "six-pack",and from reverse-engineering from new top speed.-----------------------

Comparison BHP/ top speed data are all from either CAR and DRIVER road tests,or performance values as provided from the manufacturer to CAR and DRIVER.-------------

I'll explain my methodology in the forensic re-construction case-study.