Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
EV-1:America's fastest production car

I'm putting a case-study together for the EV-1 and want to devote a little more time before posting.-------------

I would like to toss out the following,as one reason I'm so enamored of this car.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 1994 EV-1,stripped of mirrors and windshield wipers,and fitted with full wheelcovers,taped body cut lines,1-inch (25mm)lowering,and a 16-inch (400mm ) boat-tail,and equivalent power of a 1995 Chrysler Town & Country minivan,set a land speed record of 183-mph( 295 km/h ).------------------

The EV-1 was faster than the Chevy Camaro Z-28 SS, Porsche 911 Carrera, Acura NSX, Dodge Viper GTS Coupe,and Chevy Corvette ZR-1.The next car in contention to "embarrass" the EV-1,would be the $ 560,000, 513-Bhp (383-kW ) Ferrari F50,with 194-mph ( 313 km/h) top speed.----------------------

With an estimated Cd0.152 ( same as Ford PROBE-IV concept car ),the EV-1,on a horsepower-to-horsepower basis,would be the fastest production"sports-car"ever manufactured in North America.

poobah318 (08-11-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
I consider you an authority, however, was this a documented fact or you putting data together based on the positive impact of altering an EV-1?

Because if its true and documented, who was the bonehead that never let this gem of information leak out to the public?

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

documented

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
I consider you an authority, however, was this a documented fact or you putting data together based on the positive impact of altering an EV-1?

Because if its true and documented, who was the bonehead that never let this gem of information leak out to the public?
trikkonceptz,I have a video from GM's public relations dept,covering the event at Ft.Stockton.The video shows speed runs with and without boat-tail,and also garage/shop coverage of the battery and "six-pack" change-out,also addition of wheelcovers,taping and boat-tail.--------------

United States Auto Club provides the velocities for flying- kilometer and flying- mile.-------------------

I also have the Lease brochure GM provided the Saturn dealers( mine is from Saturn of Tucson.Arizona,where I test-drove the EV-1 in 1996 ) which handled the EV-1.The brochure covers all new- car specs plus race results.--------------------

CAR and DRIVER Magazine covered the story and published the test results at Ft. Stockton.---------------------

Additionally,Mechanical Engineering Magazine reported on the development of GM's PNGV car which used the EV-1 for it'd windtunnel "mule",and listed "points" criteria for structures of the EV-1.------------

I used GM published figures where available.Since a"true-length" side profile photograph of the EV-1 at Ft.Stockton is in the lease brochure,I was able to make measurements off the photograph and using GM's published dimensions for the car,determine both the "drop",and length of boat-tail ( which are not published).---------------------

Horsepower for the race version were are deduced from Ohm's Law given the elevated voltage with the "six-pack",and from reverse-engineering from new top speed.-----------------------

Comparison BHP/ top speed data are all from either CAR and DRIVER road tests,or performance values as provided from the manufacturer to CAR and DRIVER.-------------

I'll explain my methodology in the forensic re-construction case-study.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

The 183 MPH sounds like a salt-flats speed record. What was the actual cost of production of the EV-1?

Here's something that will make you throw up :

General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
EV1 CNG

The compressed natural gas (CNG) variant was the only non-electric vehicle in the line-up, even though it employed the same up-stretched platform. It used a modified Suzuki 1.0-liter turbocharged 3-cylinder all-aluminum OHC engine installed under the hood. Due to the high octane rating of the CNG (allowing for a greater compression ratio), this small engine was able to deliver 72 hp at 5500 rpm.

The batteries were replaced with two CNG tanks capable of maximum operating pressure of 3000 psi. The tanks could be refueled from a single nozzle in only 4 minutes. In-tank solenoids shut off the fuel during refueling and engine idle, and a pressure relief device safeguarded against excessive temperature and pressure. With the help of a continuously variable transmission, the car accelerated 0 to 60 mph (96.6 km/h) in 11 seconds. The maximum range was 350 to 400 miles, and fuel economy was 60 mpg (in gasoline equivalent) .

EV1 series hybrid

The series hybrid prototype had a gas turbine engine APU placed in the trunk. A single-stage, single-shaft, recuperated gas turbine unit with a high-speed permanent-magnet AC generator was provided by Williams International; it weighed 220 lb (99.8 kg), measured 20 inches (50.8 cm) in diameter by 22 inches (55.9 cm) long and was running between 100,000 and 140,000 rpm. The turbine could run on a number of high-octane alternative fuels, from octane-boosted gasoline to compressed natural gas. The APU started automatically when the battery charge dropped below 40% and delivered 40 kW of electrical power, enough to achieve speeds up to 80 mph (128.8 km/h) and to return the car's 44 NiMH cells to a 50% charge level.

A fuel tank capacity of 6.5 gallons (24.6 l) and fuel economy of 60 to 100 mpg (3.9 to 2.4 L/100 km) in hybrid mode, depending on the driving conditions, allowed for a highway range of more than 390 miles (627.6 km). The car accelerated to 0-60 mph (96.6 km/h) in 9 seconds.

There was also a research program that powered the series hybrid Gen2 version from Stirling engine based generator. The program demonstrated the technical feasibility of such drivetrain, but concluded that commercial viability was out of reach at that time.

EV1 parallel hybrid

The parallel hybrid variant featured a de-stroked 1.3 L turbocharged DTI diesel engine (Isuzu Circle L), delivering 75 hp, installed in the trunk along with an additional 6.5 hp DC motor/generator; the two motors drove the rear wheels through an electronically controlled transaxle. When combined with the AC induction motor which powered the front wheels, all three power units delivered a total output of 219 hp, accelerating the car to 0-60 mph (96.6 km/h) in 7 seconds. A single tank of diesel fuel could keep the car running for 550 miles with a fuel economy of 80 mpg.

A similar technology is used in the 2005 Opel Astra Diesel Hybrid concept.
A bird in the hand ...

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200px-GMEV1serieshybrid.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2436  

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
As GM ponnies up to the government for assistance, this needs to be brought back up in their face as a reminder of what politics have done to their company.

This car if produced would have set a faster pace putting us in a much better position for better vehicles than what we have currently.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

cost of production

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

The 183 MPH sounds like a salt-flats speed record. What was the actual cost of production of the EV-1?

Here's something that will make you throw up :

General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A bird in the hand ...

CarloSW2
I went over every scrap of paper I have on the Impact/EV-1 and could find no mention of R&D costs.Neither Ford nor Chrysler published costs for development of their EVs either.-----------------

Aerovironment went from a clean sheet of paper,to a running Impact prototype in 18-months.Early estimates were $15,000-$25,000 for the Impact.By 1991,it is reported that GM didn't care what the Impact cost,their task was to meet the California Air Resources Board ZEV mandatory standards,with little regard for profit.Without ZEVs,automakers would be unable to sell ANY new cars in California( 25 % of US market ).-------------------------

Calstart was able to develop their "Showcase Electric Vehicle",along with an EV bus and EV small commuter vehicle for $20,000,000.--------------------

Western Washington University produced their Viking-21 electric hybrid for $250,000,and estimated,with limited production,at 1,000 units a year,they could bring them to market at under $30,000 each.--------------------

A gasoline version of the Impact/EV-1 could have been available for the 1993 model year,and marketed as a Buick,Cadillac, Chevrolet, Daewoo,Geo, Holden,Isuzu, Lotus,Oldsmobile, Opel,Pontiac, Saab,Saturn ,or Toyota,or Vauxhall, at about $14,000(US).

Last edited by aerohead; 01-02-2009 at 02:12 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
econ00b

green car - '91 honda civic hb dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I'm putting a case-study together for the EV-1 and want to devote a little more time before posting.-------------I would like to toss out the following,as one reason I'm so enamored of this car.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The 1994 EV-1,stripped of mirrors and windshield wipers,and fitted with full wheelcovers,taped body cut lines,1-inch (25mm)lowering,and a 16-inch (400mm ) boat-tail,and equivalent power of a 1995 Chrysler Town & Country minivan,set a land speed record of 183-mph( 295 km/h ).------------------ The EV-1 was faster than the Chevy Camaro Z-28 SS, Porsche 911 Carrera, Acura NSX, Dodge Viper GTS Coupe,and Chevy Corvette ZR-1.The next car in contention to "embarrass" the EV-1,would be the $ 560,000, 513-Bhp (383-kW ) Ferrari F50,with 194-mph ( 313 km/h) top speed.---------------------- With an estimated Cd0.152 ( same as Ford PROBE-IV concept car ),the EV-1,on a horsepower-to-horsepower basis,would be the fastest production"sports-car"ever manufactured in North America.
I think you meant the corvette Z06, the ZR1 just came out this year and has a top speed in excess of 200 mph, thanks to its supercharged 640 hp LS9 motor.

Definitely interesting info though
Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Aerohead, are you going to post some pictures and video ? We would all love to see what you are talking about.

Am I the only person in the world that thinks the orignial EV-1 ( the GM 'Impact' ) was a far better looking car than the production EV1 ?

With the Impact, the front of the car had air inlets ( why ? ) It really helped to balance out the appearance of the car. With the later design, the front end apperaed to have fat 'lips'.
The Impact passenger compartment appeared to have a more fluid curve to it and was the color of the body. With the production EV-1, the passenger compartment seemed to be a 'bubble' on top of the body with starnge curves.
At the rear of the car, the original Impact had a nice gentle slope from the back glass to the edge of the trunk lid. The tail lights were narrow and wide and gave the back end of the car better proportions ( not so fat / tall looking ) The tail lights then curved around the sides of the car and produced a nice crease to the flat slab sides of the car.

You would almost think that someone tried to sabotage the design.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Ldave View Post
I think you meant the corvette Z06, the ZR1 just came out this year and has a top speed in excess of 200 mph, thanks to its supercharged 640 hp LS9 motor.

Definitely interesting info though
( He's talking about the older ZR-1.)
Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Ferrari F50,with 194-mph ( 313 km/h) top speed.---------------------- With an estimated Cd0.152 ( same as Ford PROBE-IV concept car ),
Uh.......What ?

O.K. I think I understand now.
This wierd formatting is confusing. It looks as if you were trying to say that the F50 had a Cd of 0.152 - the same as the Ford PROBE -IV .

Now that I re-read it, I'm guessing that what you are saying is that the modified EV-1 had a .152 Cd. Right ?

Last edited by Cd; 12-24-2008 at 03:16 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread