View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
300V+ gear is very expensive, and 300V is highly dangerous. You can put in an ADC 9" and 144V 1000A controller for far cheaper than a 300V setup.
Keep the transmission and you'll have much better than stock performance.
I'm thinking in terms of building a vehicle from the ground up, not conversion. For conversion, performance is almost always a trade-off with cost.

However, in a properly-designed production vehicle, I would have the expectation of higher voltages, and thus, higher efficiency and performance.

Still, just stepping up to 144V is significant from 48V in terms of available power.

I am in the blue-print dreaming phase of an all-electric RV. It will have 700V+, should I ever get around to building it.

Also, as for safety? There are several thousand volts going through the ignition system of a traditional ICE, but very few people ever get shocked. As for me, I build tube-based amplifiers, some of which run 500-700v on the plates. Low-current DC, sure, but it's still enough to kill you should you take it across the chest. I've been shocked before, but never fatally. Left hand in pocket, always.

Last edited by The Atomic Ass; 01-04-2009 at 03:44 PM..