View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
NachtRitter
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Another view of the GPS data, but this time it is the "from work" direction and includes my current speed.

Kinda interesting to look at... Looks like the speed kinda lags a bit behind the altitude. Gives an idea of the challenge of getting up the hill with the Maus. Floored in top gear still can't overcome the pull of gravity...
On this trip, you can kind of see that I downshifted to try to keep the momentum up, but even that didn't help much. More recently, I've tried attacking the hill ahead of time (i.e. getting a running start), which helps a (very) little bit... at least it I can stay in top gear the whole way.

The drop to zero mph indicates the begin & end of the freeway (on & off ramps).

GPS data also indicated that the odo shows about 2.6% fewer miles than actual (Odo -> 44.3 miles vs GPS -> 45.5 miles). I figured I was a little off because the previous owner had put slightly taller tires on the car (175/70R-13 vs the stock 165/70R13), but it was interesting to see that the actual odo error is almost exactly the expected odo error; the on-line tire size calculator that I like to use (at Tire size calculator) showed that the calculated odo error was 2.5% too slow. Meaning that the odo would be pretty much dead-on with the stock tires!

Fun stuff...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Commute Altitude Profile_11635_image001.gif
Views:	230
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	2538