View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #466 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
10-11-2007, 09:35 Pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe
Very cool, can't wait for some real world stats (0-30 times, top speed, range, etc).

So where is the garage entry already?

P.S. what is downshifting like without a clutch (spinning the motor up on the synchros?) or do you not do much shifting or hows that work?
Right... garage entry! I should get on that.

What formula will I use for MPG equivalent though? There are 33,557 watt hours in a gallon of gas, and the FS pack theoretically (when new) holds 48v*220AH (I think) = 10,560 watt hours (less than 1/3 of a gallon of gas, equivalent energy!)

Problem is, I don't have a killawatt meter, so I don't know exactly how much I'm putting back into the pack when I recharge. Suggestions? I can estimate SOC from pack voltage... but that's kind of like estimating MPG based on where you gas gauge was before topping up.

Downshifting is pretty easy: push/pull to neutral while releasing the go pedal, no load (exactly the same way you do it in an ICE car when you don't use the clutch to get to N), then push/pull towards the gear you want while spinning up the motor. It's actually faster than upshifting.

Upshifting: go to neutral (no load), and push firmly against the synchros while the motor is spinning down. Takes maybe 1 and a half seconds to upshift.

I've been driving it like an ICE car, except revving higher (over 3k before shifting up).

I'll make a video that shows the shifting.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget