View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
1989 Pontiac 6000 Wagon - my build thread

This is the winter ride so I am not so concerned about keeping it nice.

Heres the first quick and dirty mod, a grille block made of coroplast. I just cut an oversized piece of thin coroplast, sandwiched it under the emblem to keep it from going anywhere, and tucked everything else in. The top side has a couple zip ties and is screwed down through the hood latch since it was handy. Then I cut around the headlights. The factory 6000 grille was a real cobjob style, huge gaps everywere. Hopefully this should made a little difference. I may paint it, but it is zero degrees outside and is supposed to be -20 to -30 next week. Maybe itll raise the engine temp a tad too.

The airdam was the biggest help on my Celeb, but the same thing wouldnt last a day on this car with all the snow I have to push through. Some people on here have talked about rubber belting. I can get it at work, but I wonder how it would hold up going down the road. Theres a lot of wind force at 55 mph, I wonder if it would just push out of the way.

Heres a shot of the rear just for kicks. I started to remove the roof rack crossbars, but they wouldnt come out unless I pulled the whole roof rack off. Id like them to be more easily removable because I do use it sometimes to haul things. Maybe Ill figure something out. I think the rear wing could be hurting airflow too, it is about level with the top of the roof rack and is supposed to direct some airflow down over the window. I started to remove it but Im going to have to get some hardware. I had some hinges for a non-wing a-wagon once, but hard to say if I still have them buried somewhere, thatd be the way to go.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grilleblock.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2559  

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver