View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
No, wait -- this story has some relevance...

Whether intentional or by shear ignorance, GM ruined the idea of Diesels in the U.S. for at least 2 Generations -- I won't expound since we know what happened.

Ironically, well-built Diesel vehicles like the Mercedes 240D only revealed their black smoke to onlookers, but efficiency and robust durability were offered to the few owners of the niche vehicles.

Further Diesels were purpose-built and tolerated in the commercial sector for the next 20 years (Semis, Fire/EMS, Delivery). I drove the non-turbo Navistar 7.3L IDI in the '96 Ford E-350 Van/Ambulance conversion for 1000's of miles. It smoked like a chimney and puzzled patients and other passengers. "Why does it stink and sound like it has no power? It's really loud too..." A direct quote from a patient's family member at the time. Explaining the whole process was too much to grasp for the average citizen.

I knew that it idled for hours without overheating and provided better FE after the day was done. A competitor across town had gasoline V-8's that often overheated, didn't provide the torque required for the added electrical demand, and couldn't keep up. They went bust. It was a combined effort of outperformance in the marketplace, but the non-turbo diesel gave us that edge of reliabilty and longevity.

The new E-350 box units in '96 had the "Power Stroke" turbo. Fast and powerful at first, but embarrassingly unreliable. Broken valve stems, dusted engines from poor air filter seals, and ECU failure plagued the new Medic Units. Way to go Ford. You dial 911 and essentially expect the equipment to perform. Instead, the engine quits after a reasonable amount of time. Basically, there wasn't a Diesel engine made in America that the mass populace could relate to.

Further, the availability of the fuel (and the price premium) didn't appeal to the masses here in the 'States -- especially when gasoline was so cheap. So, in tandem with marketing and perception, Diesel got smacked. Only VW offered a passenger car with the option, but didn't fit the mold. Go ahead -- ask a random friend or family member about a Diesel. The answer is generally the same.

So what to do? Enter the Hybrid -- Diesel's replacement. The rest is History.

It could be History in the making if more manufacturers stepped up. We're dealing with a new Generation of buyers (if they can afford it). Show them that the design can be quiet, cheaper, smokeless, reliable, and easy to fill at the pump. That's the equation. I envision a Diesel-Hybrid if designers can engineer around the thermal losses on cold starts.

The buying-public longs for this type of efficiency, reliability, and high-tech status.

-Rick

Post-Script: Before anyone comments on the low-sulfur (ULSD) initiative, I DON'T want to hear it. We have plenty of power, efficiency, and reliability to meet the EPA regs with lower emission. You know who you are, so save it.

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 01-13-2009 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: Navistar Displacement Correction