View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #914 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
By popular demand, I now re-worked the motor end mount.

Franky, the turnbuckle was working just fine. Tinkering with it, it still felt sold and was doing it's job just the way it should, but something more solid looking would be nice to have there. That, and I have always been jealous of the Forkenswift motor end mount...

I mentioned to Rich yesterday that I might want to work on a mount.

This morning when I showed up at the EV work day, Rich already had a steel plate, sander, and plasma cutter ready.

I played around with making a rough paper template by "brass-rubbing" a sheet of paper over the end of the motor. There are four large bolt holes on the bottom of the motor. I traced them out and marked them on the paper.

The paper got transfered to the steel plate, and we drilled two holes - one for each of the outside bolt holes.

We cut a hole through the middle with the plasma cutter to allow for the tailshaft and "shoulder" around it.

More cutting shaped the steel plate to a Q-shape.

The original motor end mount was cut short on the band saw, and welded to the Q.

Then, the whole thing could slide straight down, toaster style, between the motor and the frame.

The original mount bolt went back in, and two bolts went through the plate into the motor.

I hit the whole thing with a coat of rust red primer. Maybe it will get powder coated someday....

That's enough work for today!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 01-18-2009 at 11:12 PM..