View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #938 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I was looking over evalbum today and wondered why you (if yo have) have not just used the existing heater core and heat up an insulated tank of coolant with a block heater? That seems to be a pretty reasonable way of storing heat for a while.
That actually is something I HAVE GIVEN a lot of thought to.

I like the idea of being able to heat coolant ahead of time from wall AC power. I would also like to keep it hot on the road with DC power, so possibly an insulated tank with dual heating elements in it could work.

It just takes time and money and experimenting. I think it would work better too with a 120V+ system than it would with 72V.

I have actually been pretty happy with the electric oil radiator in the back seat. Didn't cost me anything (already had it) and it works well.

Rigging up under the hood to the heater core mostly would have the advantage of being able to direct the heat straight onto the windshield, and would free up space in the back seat.

I like my space heater in that I can just take it out for the summer and save the space AND weight.

A fancier heating system may just become my fall project...

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos