View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #945 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
The other day, I was able to get a used 72V charger in unknown condition, but the cost was right (free!)

This charger has both a 12V and a 72V output on it.

I wired up a power cord for it and tested the outputs. The 12V out was sending about 13.5 volts, but the 72V output wasn't doing anything.

I have been told that many higher voltage chargers don't do anything unless they are hooked up to the batteries, so it was time to rig some up.

I pulled out my "second-string" of batteries and lined them up in the garage. I dug my pile of forklift cables out of the snow and found some with terminals on both ends.

I strung the batteries in series with the forlift cables and then hooked up the charger.

Measuring the string of voltage, the multimeter read 75.4V, which comes to a little more than 12.5V each, which isn't bad considering that the batteries are just sitting in my garage, and it's still cold out. (1℉ right now)

When I turned the charger on, the Killawatt measuring it only went up to about 20 watts. I'm sure that's just the power used to run the two fans on the charger.

I heard a few clicks once or twice from inside the charger. Something's not quite right with it.

Maybe at the next EV Build Day, I can have some of the other guys take a look at it.

If nothing else, it's a free 12V charger.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos