View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Nissan raises the bar: networked, onboard, "multiplayer" fuel economy instrumentation

Via GCC:

I've always liked my ScanGauge for how it turns fuel efficiency into a kind of personal competition. CarloSW2 hit the nail on the head when he called it his "game gauge".

Well, Nissan has raised the bar on the game gauge. For the past year, some of its Japanese market cars have had the option of a wireless service called "CARWINGS". One of the CARWINGS features let owners check online to view their entire fuel consumption history, which is automatically collected, calculated and logged on a Nissan server.

As well, drivers can see a comparison of how well they're hypermiling compared to other Nissan owners with the same vehicle:

Image of Eco-drive ranking display

Nissan has taken it to the next level, and now the vehicle's fuel log & efficiency history, as well as the comparison to other drivers in your "fleet", is going to be available in car through the navigation display.

The voice part of the navigation system also apparently offers "tips on better fuel efficiency" for the driver - though no more details are given on whether, for example, it tells you not to be a dolt when you drive like one.

"HEY DOOFUS! Why'd you accelerate up to that last red light and brake at the last minute?!"

Cool.

Full article: Nissan Adds Eco-Drive Service for CARWINGS Navigation System

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget