View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I think hybrids do have their place, in certain operating environments, and so not all hybrid owners are "morons". That said, I think a lot of people jumped on the hybrid bandwagon without really thinking about it (as people generally do) and they would have been better off with an economical non-hybrid.

I can think of one instance in particular where a person I knew was greatly alarmed by rising gas prices and wanted to get a hybrid in the worst way (practically frantic!)
actually getting very upset that the dealer sold "his" hybrid to someone else (that was when the waiting lists were very long and the hype machine was running full bore). I sat down with him and went over the numbers and truly he had practically the optimal solution for his needs already in the garage: a Metro. A hybrid in his situation would have been a colossal waste of money.

I'm not ready to give too much credence to any conspiracy theories about EVs, SUVs, oil companies, and such. Yes the auto mfgs are party to some really stupid stuff but in spite of that, my tendency is to lay the blame on the consumer. You see, nobody holds a gun to a car buyer's head and makes them buy what they don't want. Conversly, if EVs were REALLY what the consumer wanted, they'd have them already. I think the SUV/pickup sales explosion was the stupid*** consumers doing, and the mfgs simply went along for the ride. BTW, I am SO FREEKING GLAD I'm not subjected to pickup truck TV ads 24/7 anymore!!! Well, not that I watched that much TV, but whenever it was on, it seemed the truck ads took up at least 40% of the viewing time. I mean, do people really have that much **** to haul around???

I totally agree re: hybrids blowing your doors off being sacrilege. They don't just cruise fast; they practically burn rubber when taking off from stops. It's like, look at me, I'm green, I've done my part, I'm tearing around like a mindless idiot in a HYBRID!!! Way to lay responsibility for being "green" all on the car, and none of it on yourself.

America is NOT the Land Of The Free. But I think the sheeple like it that way. Read some political issue forums and blogs- how people think scares the living **** outta me. I guess we get the gummint we deserve.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 01-25-2009 at 02:28 AM..