View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
EV public charging stations

So where do you plug in an EV? At home, in your garage, of course. But, if you could plug it at work, in front of a store or restaurant, it really opens up a world of possibilities to electric vehicles.

In the Pacific Northwest, there are public electric vehicle charging stations popping up all over.

Portland General Electric has a number of them, and all of them are free for use, for now at least.

Charging Station video link

Although PGE has been using ShorePower brand charging stations, many EVs can plug in almost anywhere on a 15 or 20 amp standard outlet.

A quick look on Google Maps shows a listing of electric vehicle charging stations in the area. ( Link )
Notice that some of the locations are simply private residences where EVers allow others to plug in and charge up.

On the U.S. Federal Government's EV page, it shows a number of Public Charging Stations, but not a single one in my home state!

Maybe I have to sign up for the outlet on my garage to become the first "Official" public charging station in the state!

What can we do, collectively, to help promote EV charging stations? Give me your ideas!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos