View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Volones
EcoModding Lurker

I do what I can to reduce my consumption/waste because I'm selfish and don't want to give all my money to someone else and/or live in a filthy environment.

To address Vwbeamer's #3 green point: The likelihood of the planet getting destroyed is incredibly small indeed! The planet will continue to orbit the sun with or without human (or any other) life on it, it is indifferent to us and what we do, or do not do to it. Sure, it can become uninhabitable for humans and many, if not most/all, life that we currently know, but that won't destroy the planet, just us.

My hates?

1) - People that deny the impact that we as humans have exerted on our environment. Are we totally responsible for "global warming"? I doubt it as the earth goes through periodic cycles of higher and lower mean temps. However the CO2 levels (as measured by polar ice cores which I have seen at the Ice Core Lab in Colorado) are currently higher than they have been in the last 20,000 years. I can't understand people that don't think that will make an impact on the global environment.

2) - "Buy Green"
If you want to be "Green", don't BUY! And yes, I do know the impact of that mindset to our current economic situation, and how our economy relies on consumption (some say over-consumption). As a disclaimer, I am spending A LOT more money than I would like to be spending to repair/refurbish/build what is necessary on the farm that my wife and I purchased earlier this year, so we are definitely doing "our part" to help the economy recover.

*Time period is from 1 January 2006 - 1 March 2007*