View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Holy K-Rap!

I just broke 60 MPH in a home-built cheap-o electric car!!!!

The batteries are urgently recovering on the charger.....

This thing is fast.

Put the car in 4th - get up to 45 - let off the gas pedal and kick in the turbo - it will push you into your seat (just a little, but it does!) and then take it up to 55. I made it to just a hair past 60 mph.

Wait a minute, that was in a 55 zone. There's that speeding thing again. I still got passed by by an F-350...

Why should I need to precharge my controller caps? They can't hold a charge for a minute or two?

I do need some sort of amperage limiter. My ammeter went straight to the top of the scale and stayed there! It just sucks as many amps as the batteries can give.

I pulled over and felt all the cables, the batteries, motor, and contactors.

The motor, contactors, and most cables were dead cold. The cable between the most positive battery and main contactor was warm. I think that's an issue because that's where the fuse, and a couple other small power connections are. I think I need to clean it up and put a better terminal on there.

I also felt all the batteries. One of the middle ones in the back was warm. That's one that I know always has lower voltage than the rest.

The Turbo seems to work pretty good.

I am not planning on engaging the turbo again without a few minor changes, but man does it work!!!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos