View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
I still haven't seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpecan View Post
well I STILL haven't seen any Kamm-back flaps or under-trailer skirting on a semi-trailer.
I don't get out very much, though.

anyway here's a print version of some of the points made in the CNBC video of Wal-Mart's truck fleet's efficiency improvements of all kinds:

(and the fellow's name is spelled Chris Sultemeier)

Green Car Congress: Wal-Mart Estimates 50% of Fleet Efficiency Gain by 2015 Could Come from Vehicle Technology, 50% from Operational Improvement

btw I think that Congress should give "bondo" the poster above, $785 Billion worth of Bondo. and "carte blanche" to apply it as he sees fit. That would end our dependence on foreign oil right then and there. I'm only half kidding. and give aerohead $785 Billion for AluPo and carbon-fiber
oldpecan,I tried google images for The Waggoners Trucking Co. but struck out.They run a fully tricked-out 18-wheeler,complete with 48-inch boat-tail.I've talked with their drivers but they do not track mpg on the rigs.The drivers told me to contact their offices to learn about the details however I never seem to find the time.I have a reference for a rig that won a mpg contest in the 1980s,they got about 10.5 mpg,but I think gvw was only around 71,000 lbs and speed was averaging only low 50-mph territory.Rigs have been researched and have demonstrated drag coefficients of Cd 0.26 and depending on starting point,and along with engine and powertrain,offered mpg gains on the order of 58%.Again.it all depends on where you're beginning from.The rigs hit a technological "wall" at some popint,and without radical modifications to the trailer,are hamstrung against any further savings.I think it's time for tractor manufacturers to get in the trailer business.