View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #991 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I went down into Milwaukee today for the EV build meeting.

There were lots of people there, and most of the work was on Swee's trike.

My car never even made it into the garage. However, both Brian and Tim took a look at my Metro with the idea of trying to figure out how many and where I can cram some batteries through the floor of the car in the back seat.

I think we can fit 7 batteries in a box sunk through the floor. It would be five batteries wide (about 35") with two batteries turned 90 degrees further back.

This should just fit in without cutting into the structure between the rear strut towers.

I should also be able to fit four batteries total in the radiator position under the hood.

That gets me to 11 batteries. I only need to find location for 1 more to get 72V parallel or 144V series configuration.
I think I can put one more under the hood. It would go over the motor in its own custom angle iron rack. Something like this:

Brian has a metal equipment cabinet which would make a great battery box. It would just need to be cut down to fit in the back of the Metro.

It's about time that I get some more power in my garage, so I am planning on adding a 240V 30amp circuit breaker and outlet. That way, other people can recharge EVs in my garage AND I will have a place to plug in welders and plasma cutters that people bring over.

Tom donated a 30amp twist-lock extension cord for me to get started on my 240V garage power.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to trick Brian, Tim, Tom, and Tim to come over to my house, and use all their time and skills on my project.

I am sure promises of Pizza will do....

[EDIT]
Almost forgot! Rich gave me some black coroplast, which should make a fine (matching-color!) belly pan. Tom had a big box of switches and buttons. I grabbed an extra-large button that I plan to paint red and use as my "Push in Emergency" button. It is a momentary-on switch, but I should be able to figure out how to rig it up as a contactor-kill-switch.

Also in that box of switches and things was a control box with a large dial marked "Torque". While the dial did NOT go to 11, I could certainly modify it to do so. I seriously considered grabbing it just to have a giant "Torque-Knob" for my dashboard.

PPS: The recharging energy for my 16.2 mile ride the other day came to 4.69KWhrs. That is about 50 cents of electricity, or 3 cents per mile. It calculates out to 126 MPGe, a little below my average, but still good, considering that it's winter, and I just increased my vehicle weight by 400 lbs!

Here is the button I grabbed from Tom's box 'o parts. It was just dirty plain aluminum.

How did I get it so candy-apple red? That's right, SharpieŽ Red marker.

It should make a very nice EASY BUTTON. I just press it, and building the rest of the car becomes very easy.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 02-15-2009 at 09:31 PM..