View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
blueflame
Master EcoModder

Eating and drinking for health

Here we usually discuss whats best for transportation, our cars and bikes and the planet.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about possibly more important eating and drinking, as Hippocrates said, 'let food be your medicine'.

I've been trying to learning about Ayurveda and Chinese approaches to this million dollar question....

We are very fortunate to have resources and products from around the world, and have the potential to be on the verge of a new Renaissance when it comes to ingesting food and drink.

But damn it, its hot here and ice cold lagers taste so good!

Local pizza companies are at war and $4.90 for a large pizza is just too good!!!

So rather than admit that I'm very interested in diet, and then admit to eating and drinking lager and pizza, I guess I'm interested in various home truths and folksy wisdom, that others find valuable.

One I like is:

'The less you eat, the better you feel'.
Or that aiming for caloric deficiency is ideal.
Some experiments with lab animals seems to suggest that longevity corresponds with eating less.

The extremely long lived Okinawians, Hunzas and Valencumbrians?, share highly mineralized food sources.

Being happy also seems to keep you alive longer... probably a more enjoyable life too. I think pizza and ice cold lagers are a source of happiness??

So, I guess I'm trying to dig up others people pearls of wisdom to maintain our bodies in tip top shape....