Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eating and drinking for health

Here we usually discuss whats best for transportation, our cars and bikes and the planet.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about possibly more important eating and drinking, as Hippocrates said, 'let food be your medicine'.

I've been trying to learning about Ayurveda and Chinese approaches to this million dollar question....

We are very fortunate to have resources and products from around the world, and have the potential to be on the verge of a new Renaissance when it comes to ingesting food and drink.

But damn it, its hot here and ice cold lagers taste so good!

Local pizza companies are at war and $4.90 for a large pizza is just too good!!!

So rather than admit that I'm very interested in diet, and then admit to eating and drinking lager and pizza, I guess I'm interested in various home truths and folksy wisdom, that others find valuable.

One I like is:

'The less you eat, the better you feel'.
Or that aiming for caloric deficiency is ideal.
Some experiments with lab animals seems to suggest that longevity corresponds with eating less.

The extremely long lived Okinawians, Hunzas and Valencumbrians?, share highly mineralized food sources.

Being happy also seems to keep you alive longer... probably a more enjoyable life too. I think pizza and ice cold lagers are a source of happiness??

So, I guess I'm trying to dig up others people pearls of wisdom to maintain our bodies in tip top shape....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
well, if you are going to eat pizza and beer for around $5 per pizza you can make your own and you end up with a better quality meal, also if you drink beer that was unfiltered then the yeasts in the beer aid in digesting heavy foods like pizza...
cook it your self and you will save money and get a better quality meal and by cooking I don't mean warming packaged foods, I mean preparing it from ingredents, you shouldn't end up with trash after a meal if you do then you are paying to much.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

At $4.90 to buy a pizza the ingredients to make one myself would cost me around $5.

The beer is bottom brewed Grolsch made from spring water with no additives at $1.50NZ or $0.80US per 330ml bottle.

I know pizza and beer is a contradiction in the context of this thread, but hey I'm only human and err I sometime do.

I still eat the $6 lunch at the natural therapies school cafeteria around the corner from me...so its not all junk.

The bottles get melted down and the pizza box gets eaten by the worm farm worms. The beer transportation probably used about 2 gallons of diesel to get here from The Netherlands..... And another gallon to be collected and melted down. Very uneconomical to say the least.

I wear a vapour mask with carbon filters when I ride my motorbike to avoid diesel particulates and CO2's etc, even though I'm producing them as I go along....

Collective cooking and eating if within walking distance may be more ecofriendly than home cooking for 1,2 or a few, when you consider oven power, water, heating, lighting and effluent waste.

The time saved means you could plant more than a dozen trees, or replace a car journey with a cycle journey, or many other very worthwhile activities.

Maybe in the future, dwellings my not even have an oven or fridge.

Lately as I find more good places to eat near me, my fridge contents are around 10-15 liters on average....

Being walking distance to the supermarket means I could almost not have a fridge. Often supermarket ingredients are so expensive.... compared with ready to eat options.....

Maybe never cooking at home, only sandwiches, muesli granola, fruit etc and eating out everyday is a better way for everyone and the planet, it may be financially cheaper too. Depending on where you live...

But concerning eating and drinking: my main concern re personal health is food acidity. And trying to introduce a more alkaline, mineral rich diet? Plus of course avoiding chemicals and toxic wastes.

Its hard though when some tasty little morsels are so cheap, but apart from Subway, (which you can receive wrapped only in 1 piece of paper) most other mainstream options are total rubbish, and produce lots of rubbish.

Last edited by blueflame; 02-16-2009 at 10:39 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread