View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxyChicken View Post
The Patient: SkuttleButt, a 96 Ford Taurus sedan.
The Ailment: Leaking upper transmission line (right at the nut)...
OK, I think we're pretty much agreed that $-wise it makes sense to fix the leaky thing. Question is, how?

Considering the leaky fitting you'll probably need a new line. However I've seen shops cut the bad line a short distance from the bad end and splice on a new end. Saves you from having to find a source for the complete line and pay the price - just the cost of the short bit you're replacing.

Also if you want to have another go at it, get a wrench that will really get in there and see if you can tighten it. Maybe you can use a short stubby wrench or a crow's foot "socket" on a 3/8" drive set. I made a stubby wrench by cutting off part of a regular wrench handle. For this job you probably need a flare nut wrench, get a cheap set and shorten the handle if needed. Dremel with a reinforced grinding wheel did that job nicely for me. Cheapy no-name "Dremel" grinder has turned out to be one of the most useful tools I ever bought.

There are also wrenches with heads bent at a sharper angle than usual. I'd think you or a friend could make one of these too. Might need some heat but probably could be done.