View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Xringer
Old Retired R&D Dude

Little Red - '12 Toyota Prius c 2 Two
90 day: 57.82 mpg (US)

"Whitey" Bulger - '14 Toyota RAV4 LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Two View Post
Mine has been running really well. No complaints- only happy with the purchase.
I never notice if its frosting up. It just shuts itself off. Its pretty easy to tell on the really cold nights that it will gradually stop working at around zero degrees.

As far as sizing- another thing to think about is this: those charts are mainly for cooling. As far as heating- it depends on your climate. When its zero degrees outside I think my hp still puts out heat, but much less.... maybe 7500 btus instead of the 12000 it is rated for. If heat is your main concern- I'd oversize. Because these are DC powered, they will throttle up and down a lot more than most of us are used to with conventional A/Cs.
My 12000 btu (15k for heat) will comfortably heat about 800-1000 sq feet with heat to spare if I use a fan to blow it downstairs. But its also running constantly as opposed to a 60k btu furnace cycling on and off. I would try one out. I'm also looking forward to the A/C as an extra benefit.
My bill depends a lot on the weather. If its really cold (below zero)- not much benefit. Above that- it makes everything more comfortable. And if I take the time to put a fan in the doorway and crank the HP it'll heat the downstairs partially as well. Your situation sounds much more ideal than mine- I'll bet it would cut your oil bill in half and probably bump the electric by $30-50 in the winter.
Thanks for the report.. That's just what I wanted to hear!
We have had a few Zero degree spells this year, but about 89% of the time,
we could have been using a mini-split.. (If we had one)!

I plan to start on the pad and pre-wiring the 220V this month.
I will be placing my order for the 24,200 BTU Sayno very soon.
We should be able to get it installed soon enough to use the heater mode,
since spring time seems far away right now..

Current ride: 2014 RAV4 LE AWD (24 MPG)

Wife's Pizza Transporter