View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
RH77 -

I have heard that 250F is the danger zone, but I'm not a car dude. I don't like my coolant to be over 210F when I am stuck in traffic. The ECU/PCM always turns on the fan at 220F. Would the detail that I have an aluminum block lower the temperature of the "danger zone" for damage?

I drive up a hill when I go home, so I use my manual fan radiator switch to cool things off as needed.

CarloSW2
I've considered a fan lockout switch, but with the wide swing in temps here, the fail-safe has been to let the fans engage and blow-back the heat into the intake, or to do the job in the summer. I can really feel an electro-mechanical burden when they kick-on at cruise -- the trade-off seems to be of positive FE. The rad-block is very efficient: highway speeds at 2500-3000 RPM really heat up the coolant temps, despite cold air flowing around entire system (neither a sealed grille-block, nor undertray is installed). It seems to act in the sense of a "delayed EBH" without one inherently available.

The coolant temp can easily be controlled using the heater core and blower.

I also have an aluminum alloy engine block with cast iron cylinder liners (the head is also aluminum alloy), so I worry about the expansion/contraction near the head gasket and the result of metal fatigue. The SG temp readouts are likely on the high-side. I haven't come close to the "overheat" warning in the OBD system -- actuality and reported perception may be different, so I don't want to run added risk if the payoff is negligible.

I have to say, when the TC kicks-in using a mild TPS input, it results in a strong-pull at a lower RPMs with reduced fuel consumption due to the hotter temps -- this seems highly beneficial.

I'm working in town more these days, using my own vehicle -- the route is a suburban and urban commute of roughly 50 miles r/t. I've given-up on the highway, since FE and consumption plummets during the hours in which I am requested to commute. As you may know, winds, temps, and precip widely vary from day-to-day (indluding traffic density). "If you don't like the Weather, wait a day". What seems to be relentless is the wind; year-round. On an aside, I feel the breeze and dream of a small wind generator on the house That's another thread

-Rick

_
_