View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
"Now you have a huge hole in the cylinder top where oil can splatter out."

Valves closed and a dummy spark plug, where's it gonna go?

The problem area is on the crank throw- should a stationary or rotating cover be affixed and how? And doesn't the ECU already know how much fuel to send via the remaining injectors and O2 sensor?
Welp, the cover is tricky bit. If you leave it untreated, you have to disable the valve action (grind the cam lobe down) or else the valve will open and leak oil. If the valves are seated firmly then there should be no problem.

I reported in my experiment that the ECU throws a CEL and a "Cylinder Misfire #1, or #3, code etc.) and dumped the fuel into the operational cylinders to acheive the proper air/fuel ratio for the oxygen sensor. In my application, the ECU didn't figure it out. YMMV, but OBD-II is fairly similar in operation in most vehicles. Pre-OBD vehicles, with carbs, have noted to defeat the system and run well.

BUT, the problem also resides in hot/cool spots with operations vs. dummy cylinder areas. Coolant has a tough time regulating bores with no combustion and hot spots with where the action is conducted.

I'm not trying to downplay the deactivation concept -- just reporting my experience and research. It can likely be defeated with proper preparation and ECU mods.

Sorry to hijack the thread -- we should get back to Atkinson action. Otherwise, maybe a cylinder deactivation thread is required? Feel free to start one, anyone. I failed at that experience, so I'm moving on...

RH77

_
_
The Following User Says Thank You to RH77 For This Useful Post:
yoyoyoda (03-08-2014)