View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
2 Points

diesel_john: 2nd point -- I kinda have some experience with cylinder deactivation. A couple years back, I deactivated 2-cylinders in the 'Teg and ran it 50 miles. Too bad it shook too much and the O2 sensor dumped more fuel in the operating cylinders.

If you make a 2-cylinder from a 4 (or 3-cylinder from a 6), you'd have to pull the whole connecting rod and cylinder with the top-end components from the opposing cylinders. Now you have a huge hole in the cylinder top where oil can splatter out. If you can seal it up and balance it out, then you may have a winner -- providing the cylinder action is balanced. Next you'd have to tell the ECU to expect half the burned fuel for stoich. I've heard that it's possible, and has been done.

On a side note: I've driven the new Chevy Impala 3.9L with the 3-cylinder mode (of 6) and the SS with 4-banger of 8. LOD, RPM, and speed determined activation and deactivation with the ECU -- a 5% FE savings was a REAL stretch. I'd like to force the whole thing to work in half-mode all the time. I'm sure it could be hacked. Chrysler's HEMI has a similar system. Extra weight, I s'pose, but half power should result in a big increase if driving properly.

RH77

_
_