View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
Frank...

Sounds like you need a VX, if its going to be a highway runner. In my opinion, the Metros aren't that great, FE wise, at much over 55 mph (in warm weather). A VX in good tune would whoop a Metro's butt in straight up highway travel.

I hope you don't mind I changed the title of the thread a bit. I'd like to make this a generic "what to look for when buying a Metro" page because I know other people will come looking for the info.

So... the biggest things are probably:

1) Rust. The dreaded control arm mount (front) gets weak and will collapse/rip if they get too rusty. Wheels fall off, etc. They need to be really solid, or I wouldn't take the chance. The cars are prone to rust in other areas (rocker panels @ the floor pan join, inner fender wells) but the A arm area is the critical spot.

2) Synchros - manual transmission: these cars are notorious for weak synchros on 2nd gear. Can be grindy if you shift quickly. Changing to a light weight tranny oil may help (it helped my first Firefly).

3) Even compression - these cars are known to burn the exhaust valve on the middle cylinder because of a blocked EGR passage. You'll want to make sure compression is close for all 3 cyls.

Those are the biggies I can think of. Hopefully others will chime in with more. It's not like we're lacking for Suzukiclone buying/fixing experience here.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget